Who does SAGEVets Serve?
SAGEVets serves LGBTQ+ veterans over the age of 50 who reside in New York State.
What does SAGEVets offer?
Support and services for veterans include:
- Outreach and education to providers and individuals throughout New York State
- VA benefit eligibility evaluation
- Legal advice and counsel and/or representation regarding discharge status upgrades, especially regarding discharges related to sexual orientation
- Case management assistance
- Programs for older LGBTQ+ veterans
- “Know Your Rights” materials for LGBTQ+ veterans
- Support group for older LGBTQ+ veterans
- Restoring Equal Rights To LGBTQ+ Veterans
Restoring Equal Rights to LGBTQ+ Veterans
As of June 1, 2020, the New York Division of Veteran Services for New York State is accepting applications for restoration of New York State benefits. Any individual with prior military service who was discharged under conditions that were other-than-honorable (OTH) or general under honorable conditions may apply for restoration of New York State veterans’ benefits if the discharge resulted from:
- Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)